Epiphany is Committed to Those in Need – Locally, Nationally and throughout the World
Epiphany Episcopal Church is committed to offering our Time, Talent, and Treasure to Outreach. We strive each year to donate ten percent of pledged income to supporting outreach efforts in our local community, nationally and internationally.
Here are some highlights of Epiphany’s outreach efforts:
1. The Food Pantry – Weekly Epiphany continues to provide volunteer, food and financial support to The Food Pantry – A joint ministry of Epiphany and Community of Faith United Methodist Church.
2. Food4Thought – The Youth Group happily supervises the packing of 200 meals for Fairfax County School kids the second Sunday of every month, immediately following worship. Pack, snack and you’re on your way in twenty minutes!
3. Rise Against Hunger – Each year, Epiphany joins with Community of Faith for a Packathon. In June 2017, we packed over 14,000 meals in two hours to help stop hunger in our world. Please plan to join us in the Spring 2018!
4. Mission – Most recently, Epiphany has traveled to the Dominican Republic and West Virginia helping rebuild and caring for children and families. In July 2017 Epiphany took Team Faith, Hope Love to Haiti and provided a Vacation Bible School for the children of Pignon, along with much needed building improvements.
5. FACETS – Epiphany pledges to financial increments in three year commitments to assist with the homeless, the unemployed, and the needy in our area.
6. Hypothermia Shelter – During Christmas week Epiphany hosts the FACETS Hypothermia Shelter. As the church on the corner, we provide a “room at the inn” for our neighbors who are homeless, hungry and chilled by the inclement weather. It was truly the best Christmas ever and we look forward to hosting each and every year. Those from across seven different faith communities help in serving with the Hypothermia Shelter.
7. Hot Meals – Help our hungry and homeless population of Fairfax County. Shop, cook, assemble, clean up and deliver up to 100 hot meals every fourth Thursday on the odd months of the year. We’re especially delighted to share this ministry with our Muslim friends, and other ecumenical groups in the region.
8. Compassion Ministry International – Epiphany supports a child through Compassion Ministry. Her name is Amanda. She is 8 years old and lives with her parents in Nicaragua.
Episcopal Relief and Development
Episcopal Relief & Development (ERD) works with Church partners and other local organizations to save lives and transform communities worldwide. They rebuild after disasters and empower people to create lasting solutions that fight poverty, hunger and disease. Working in close to 40 countries,their programs impact the lives of approximately 3 million people around the world. ERD is a trusted organization that is on the ground where needed and is able to directly meet the immediate needs and continue to provide sustained support. Epiphany Episcopal Church contributes annually to ERD. For more information, see their website at https://www.episcopalrelief.org/.
As part of our commitment to outreach, Epiphany provides financial support to organizations that help those in need at home and throughout the world. During 2016, Epiphany’s Outreach Ministry has contributed to the following organizations:
The Food Pantry
Herndon Village Network
The Jeffrey Virostek Fund (Angel Kisses Race)
Episcopal Diocese of Virginia
Rise Against Hunger
Episcopal Relief and Development – Ebola Crises
Shrine Mont Camps
Shepherd’s Center of Western Fairfax County
Feeding Those Who Are Hungry in Our Community
Community of Faith UMC/Epiphany Episcopal Church Food Pantry
Come to The Food Pantry hosted by Community of Faith United Methodist Church and Epiphany Episcopal Church every Tuesday from 5:00pm – 7:00pm:
Community of Faith United Methodist Church
13224 Franklin Farm Road
Herndon, VA 20171
Want to Serve?
- Join the food distribution held at Community of Faith United
Methodist Church on Tuesdays
- Help set-up for food distribution Monday and Tuesday during the day
- Help bring stored food from Epiphany on Tuesday morning
- Help sort food at Epiphany on Wednesday and Friday mornings
- Sign up to pick up food at local area restaurants and stores
Groups (Scouts, service organizations, clubs, neighbors, etc.) welcome!
For more information, contact Sally Savas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Epiphany is partnering with Our Daily Bread’s Food 4 Thought to help fight child hunger in Fairfax County where we provide and pack meals, drinks and snacks for elementary school children who receive free or reduced-price meals during school days. For many of these children, school meals might be the only ones they receive.
On every second Sunday at 11:30 am, Epiphany packs meals together. A donation table will be set up in the back of the Sanctuary along with a sign-up sheet. Please indicate the supplies you plan on contributing and if you will attend to help pack meals in this amazing community outreach project. Food and games for the kids after we finish!
Rise Against Hunger Pack-a-thon
Last year, Epiphany was joined by our friends at Community of Faith United Methodist Church in a packathon for Stop Hunger Now. We packed 13,000 meals in one and one half hours. The meals were shipped to Sierra Leone to help those impacked by the ebola epidemic. This year we packed more meals on Sunday, June 11, 2017 following the 10:00 am worship. See our photo gallery for a glimpse into this great family and community event.